Monday, April 4, 2011

My country

by Mark Freier
(Murwillumbah, NSW, Aust)

I was first drawn to the rock as a 20 year old man. I some how knew that I would always go there. That I would go to the highest point of it. That I would lie face down on it and feel the heartbeat of my mother, my country, my people. It was the most significant spiritual moment of my life.

I am returning now, 20 years later with my family so that they may have the same experience.

I despise the arrogance and racism of the aboriginal argument that they somehow have a better capacity to love this land because of their Aboriginality.

It is not possible to love this land and its people any more than I do - only as much. To any one who does, I embrace you as my brother. We are on the same team.

I am of English, Irish, German, Aboriginal heritage - a pure Oz snapshot of evolution how it actually is.
The rock and freedom to walk this land on my own spritual journey is my birthright because I am Australian not because I am part Aboriginal.


Return to top

Return to Outback Australia Travel Guide home page


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment